Note: Listen to this post instead using the audio player below, and consider subscribing on your favorite podcast player!
Are blogging courses worth it? I hate to say it, but it depends.
Like any course, some are, and some aren’t. As a general rule of thumb however, let me share something I believe. I believe that investment in your self-education is one of the greatest investments you can make – it can never be taken away from you, and it never goes down in value.
I spent over 3 years blogging before I began to make any real money with it. Back then, there weren’t any courses on the subject really. Today, you can save hundreds or thousands of hours by learning from the mistakes of others, the tests they’ve done, and the lessons that they could have only gathered through real experiences.
It would be foolish to give up hundreds of hours trying to figure it all out, only to save a little bit of money. If you want to truly reach massive levels of success, you must approach business with a growth mindset.
No successful blogger would discredit the value that self-education can provide. At the same time, most people who refuse to pay money to accelerate their growth have probably never ‘made it’.
Which group would you take advice from?
But James, Why Should I Pay If We Have Google?
Some would argue that much of the information is available for free online. While that may be true, you still have to…
- Spend time actually seeking out all of that information… when you may not even know what it is you’re actually looking for.
- Figure out what’s factual and what’s simply poor advice… something that isn’t always possible for a beginner.
- Take this enormous pile of conflicting information, and somehow try to make a strategy out of it.
I’m not saying that it’s impossible. But do you really want to take years to figure it all out?
Instead, I recommend finding one good instructor and going deep on their material.
How To Identify A Good Blogging Course From A Bad One
Knowing which course to invest in isn’t always easy, so here are a few things to watch out for:
- The instructor will teach you real, practical examples, rather than simply preaching from theory.
- They cover all aspects of blogging – even the technical, boring details, rather than simply focusing on the money you could make.
- They’ve actually built successful blogs, outside of the make money online niche.
- They continuously update the course as new information becomes available, so you aren’t taking action on outdated information.
- They are available to answer your questions as needed.
A Controversial Disclaimer
I want to be completely honest with you. If you’ve ever visited my site before, you may have seen an ad for the blogging course I offer myself (and yes, it hits all of the 5 points just mentioned.)
The truth is, if you were to dig through every article I’ve ever published, every video I’ve ever produced, and every podcast episode I’ve ever recorded, you could probably learn everything that’s inside of my course. I’m not the type of person to pick and choose things to hold back, simply for the sake of selling a course.
The thing is, you’re not only paying for the information. You’re also paying for…
- The most important information that’s unique to your current situation, all organized in one place.
- An evergreen resource you’ll own forever, that is always accurate and up-to-date. My blogging course has doubled in size since its release, and many videos have been rerecorded due to new information.
- Access to a blogging professional you can get in touch with, any time of the day or night.
- A clear, well-defined strategy that’s tailored to fit your goals – so you can focus on what matters, and ignore everything else that doesn’t apply to you.
Whether you decide to check out my blogging course or you purchase somebody else’s, it’s important you approach things with the right perspective.
Successful people leverage other people’s experiences and knowledge to help them achieve their goals more quickly. I hope by reading this, you feel inspired to do the same. The right course has so much power, and can accelerate your success an unbelievable amount. I could only imagine where I would be if the blogging courses out there today, were available to me when I was beginning 10 years ago.
Thank you for reading, and if you ever have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.
To your success,
– James McAllister